Dominos Pizza - Dominos ripoff delivery charge

If Domino's lawyers make them post a big statement about how the delivery drivers don't get any of the delivery fee they charge then why do they charge a delivery charge.We are paying for overhead.

It would be like going into a sit down restaurant and they charge you money to bring the food to the table. Ripoff I say. Who gets the money? Apparently not the drivers.

I'm sure they have some story about how this is to pay for the insurance on the drivers or some such garbage but it's just an extra fee.

I'd rather they just raise the prices and include the delivery.Remember 30 minutes or it's free days from Domino's.

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 28 Yes 28 58 No 58
Had the same issue 10 Yes 10
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 07 #1141222

I've done this job for 18 years do to being disabled and let me tell you what 90% of all pizza give their drivers half as much as the delivery. When I first started the delivery was free and they gave you 50 cents out of their own pockets, now they charge 2 dollars on avg and give the drive 1 dollar. Ok they say you should deliver 4 to 6 pizzas a hour let's say 5 that's five dollars in their pockets and 50 cents they used to give you when it was free. Now let's do the math they make 5 dollars off the the delivery don't pay out of their pockets now that's 7.50 which is more then you get paid per hour. So now these crooks get a vehicle use for free, free labor. No holiday pay no retirement fund. Most people would naturally think this 2 dollar charge would go to the driver now your tip has been dropped and who takes it the @%&$ the driver. There are are places that I've worked at and have taken deliveries 15 mile round trip now the government says 50 some cents a mile, I have to make 7.50 cents just to cover the vehicle then you get stiffed and you can't tell these customers the deal without loosing your job I think if you don't tip the driver and can go pick it up (seeing a vehicle in the driveway) they should be banned from getting their pizza delivered to them. How is it fair for the guy that does tip does this cheap *** get away with this if everyone was like him there would be no deliveries......... This isn't hard common sense should be practiced on the companies part

0 0 Reply

Dec 06, 2015 #1074772

Never mind delivery charge. I asked for some packets of red peppers and was told I can purchase a mini pepper shaker for $2.50 . Then they bring you a cold pizza 20 minutes late.

0 0 Reply

Sep 18, 2015 #1035806

I am a good tipper and tip delivery people well. But the fact is that domino's has a one topping pizza and a sandwich for 10.99 total comes to 16. 32 i live in cali. Tax should be about. 99 cents delivery 2.50 how does this equal 16. 32? Happens all the time. Gave delivery kid 20 bucks and told him to keep the change. They are 4 blocks from my house.

Jul 05, 2015 #1003904

Don't call it a delivery charge . It has nothing to do with it .. Call it a price gouging charge !!!!

Jun 19, 2015 #997027 Winston, Georgia

2.99 is a lot. That's all I'm saying. And some people don't have cars so we have to take delivery as an option which sucks.

Jun 06, 2015 #991966 Easton, Maryland

The delivery fee can be different and different stores handle the delivery fee differently. At my store because hardly anyone ever tipped we got a little over a dollar per delivery out of the delivery fee. This put gas in our cars but little else. I don't think you appreciate how expensive gas is and how little drivers can make, especially when a lot of the money they make goes right into maintaining their cars.
If they started charging higher it'd have to be a flat rate across all stores. So areas where delivery fees were cheaper would lose business as the price increased for the pizza compared to competitors, richer areas might benefit the most though from this deal but overall the fee really doesn't matter, everyone charges a fee for delivery. If you don't like it come and pick up your pizza, don't force people who do pick up their pizza to pay more money because you don't like paying the "delivery fee" which is just that a fee dominos charges to deliver pizza to you. It isn't a scam or a hidden charge, it is quite simply a charge to make up for the fact that delivering pizzas is really expensive for dominos, you need a lot of drivers to keep up with peak demand and end up having to pay a lot of money to hire and pay said drivers. The fee makes perfect sense if you think about it.
It costs dominos more money to deliver a pizza then to make one for pick-up so it makes sense for dominos to charge people money for deliveries instead of simply increasing the price
... Show more

0 3 Reply

Sep 07, 2015 #1030965 Wayne, New Jersey

You are wrong. It doesn't cost for them to divert it to your door. Is dominos paying the gas of the vehicle your pizza is being delivered in? NO. Is dominos paying for the vehicle that your pizza is being delivered in? NO. Is the driver getting paid the same as if he was in the store making the pizza? YES. So how is it costing dominos more money to deliver your pizza? Your going to say that because they offer delivery means they need more employees, thus costing them more money simply for more hired hands. However, if you did some digging/research, you would find that a costumer who gets dominos delivered is more likely to not have ordered dominos at all if it wasn't for delivery. So by losing these customers who only get it delivered, dominos required staff would shrink because the pizza demand wouldn't be as high and they would obviously not have as many employees. So back to the delivery charge, how is it costing dominos more money to deliver my pizza?

4 1 Reply
Reb

Mar 21, 2015 #961634 Houston, Texas

why can't they just "man up" and say, they charge higher for delivery... They lose a lot of my business because of such word games........
might just call it a service TAX

Montreal

Dec 06, 2014 #912185

I used to love ordering from dominos but now I dont order anymore. You can shove your 2$ delivery fee far up your ***. Ill order from the local pizzeria who delivers for FREE!

5 1 Reply
Sidney

Oct 05, 2014 #880226 Hollywood, Florida

I talked to a driver. They only get 50 cents per delivery. Dominos pockets the remaining $1.50 as pure profit. The poor driver has to maintain the wear and tear and gas out of his own pocket basically. Dominos is ripping the customer off with this delivery charge. I could understand this delivery charge if Dominos is using its own vehicles and paying gas, but since its not what a ripoff. I still tip the driver $2.00 per pizza. I will just not order from Dominos anymore for pizza. I will find a local joint that doesn't charge a delivery fee, which all don't.

a driver about to quit

Feb 28, 2015 #952202 Morrisville, North Carolina

They aren't ripping the customer off. It's the drivers who are really getting ripped off. The drivers (poor and desperate) are ruining their cars. Essentially pizza restaurants get a fleet of vehicles (the drivers pay for their own gas, tires, repairs, cell phones,) for peanuts. They put on a lot of stop and go miles. These delivery fees bother the customers leading to them to tip the drivers less. The pizza restaurants don't give a dam about the drivers they are just used till their cars wear out and then they have to quit. You might see a few long time drivers, but they are the exception. The entire industry relies on desperate drivers essentially sacrificing their vehicles to next to nothing. This is what can make this type of restaurant so profitable compared to others. Instead of having a single dining room to serve food in, they have one that covers say 50-60 square miles (with almost no overhead). The pizza places could pay their drivers better for this advantage but they don't. It's very unfair especially considering all they value the driver literally adds to the business.

4 0 Reply
aj

Mar 24, 2014 #798456

just saying I remove 2 dollars from the tip because I can't afford to pay 8 dollars for a sandwhich then 5 dollars for a tip and 2 dollars delivery fee and then 1 dollar on tax. My point no delivery fee driver gets five dollars from me, delivery fee of 2 dollars driver gets 3 dollar tip from me and so on. I reserve 5 for a tip, no more, so drivers loosing out cause delivery fee.

4 0 Reply
CHdfgvjju456

Jul 12, 2014 #839580

Same here aj

Don

Jul 20, 2014 #843305

The average tip in 1973, was 2$. I bet your sandwich is nice hot and fresh every time huh? I bet that driver enjoys bringing JUST a sandwich to your lap for what won't even be a gallon of gas. Keep thinking your hurting dominos by screwing your driver every time, and watch how awesome your service is. ***.

7 6 Reply
Beans5679

Nov 03, 2014 #895073 Brooklyn, New York

A couple of rolls , cold cuts , etc cost about 10 dollars and you can eat for a week , dont order take out if you can't afford it. Wendy's has a value menu for ignorant people who can't make there own food too don't screw someone else over cause it's not in your budget go out and gt your own *** in your own car with your own gas then

3 2 Reply
monkey man

Mar 04, 2014 #791014

The dominos drivers alwats got a small reimbursement for the gas they used which just barely covered thier actual gas useage and none of the repairs on thier cars. Then when oil prices went up and the cost of gas tripled or more, the domoinos owners decided that they would charge a delivery charge to totally offset any gas reimbursement they made to the drivers plus to cover thier costs of doing business. Actually the implementation of a delivery charge has greatly cut into the drivers tipsby at least a third toi a half of what they used to average, meanwhile the owners p[ocket the delivery charge as increased profits, as the cost of food and operating expenses have increased greatly yet the prices have not even come close to keeping pace with this increased cost.

7 0 Reply
pissed off driver

Jun 08, 2013 #661871 Duncan, Oklahoma

I've been driving for dominos for almost 3 years now. the delivery charge we used to get 1.25 for each one to go for gas, now if we take more than 1 delivery at a time the second or so we will only get .5o cents. the delivery charge use to be 2.00 but now it 2.75 and we get less. I don't know who gets the money but the drivers are screwed because with the prices going up and the delivery money going down. as a driver we are sure of is that the company doesn't care about the little guys on the frontline. :(

9 0 Reply
Pizza Delivery

Apr 21, 2013 #640258

We are not given the delivery fee, we are paid for the mileage we drove during our shift and it is no where near the amount customers are charged for the delivery fee. Also when we leave out for a delivery we check the order out and our hourly wage is reduced. Which is why we rely on a tip but most customers don't tip because they think we get the full amount of the delivery charge and that is NOT the case..wish it were we wouldn't have to hope we are tipped by the customer. Drivers pay for car insurance (more for delivery) the wear on our vehicle and gas. All the business gives us is a lower hourly wage for delivery, so much per mile driven and tips from credit card transactions.

4 1 Reply
FYI:

Apr 21, 2013 #640248

To be clear, all major pizza places do this. Not just Domino's, but Papa John's, and Pizza Hut too. Also, depending on your state/town...these charges vary in price.

Driver

Feb 25, 2013 #614303

I am a driver from Domino's - the delivery charge is for gas money. We get paid below minimum wage (about $5.50) per hour - the tip is to make up the difference, not including the gas money for the charge. It is like when you go out to eat and tip the waitress. Waitresses also make below minimum wage.

2 0 Reply

1-20 of 48 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.